The word "friend" comes from Old English "frēond", which means "to love" and "to honor". The ideas of friend and friendship involve three components: association, loyalty, and affection. There are also three levels of meaning: friendship as association only; friendship as association + loyalty; and friendship as association + loyalty + affection. The last is the kind of friendship that we desire with someone. It is the kind of friendship Jesus longs to have with us.
In this series we will look at friends and friendship. We are going to talk about what it takes to be a friend. We will examine what the Bible says, what world says and what you have to say.
- a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
- a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony
- a person who is on good terms with another; From Dictionary.com
- one attached to another by affection or esteem She's my best friend.
- a favored companion
- a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations. From Google.com
"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought that no one but myself…’ C.S. Lewis
A good friend knows all your stories. A best friend helped you write them. Unknown
Best friends are the people in your life who make you laugh louder, smile brighter and live better. Unknown
There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate. Charles Dickens
A friend is someone you make cookies for. Jodee Schrlau
And since good friends are allowed to show up with little notice, try making some cookie dough and freezing it. That way you can always have fresh baked cookies when a friend stops by. Here are some tips on doing that I gleaned for allrecipes.
Freezing Cookie Dough-Most cookie doughs freeze well for up to 3 months. Remember to write the date and type of cookie on the outside of the package.
- Drop Cookies: Shape the cookie dough into balls as you would when preparing to bake them. Place them on a silicone- or parchment-lined sheet. Freeze for an hour (or until solid) and transfer to a freezer zip-top bag. Squeeze out the air and freeze.
- Slice-and-Bake Cookies: Shape dough into one or two logs, double-wrap with plastic to prevent freezer burn and odor absorption from your freezer.
- Cut-Out Cookies: Shape dough into one or two flat disks. Double-wrap in plastic and freeze flat.
Baking Frozen Cookie Dough
- Drop Cookies: Set frozen cookie dough balls on a lined baking sheet and let the dough defrost in the refrigerator. This will take several hours, so plan ahead. Or place frozen cookie dough balls on a lined baking sheet and bake following recipe directions. Give the cookies a couple of extra minutes in the oven to make up for their frozen start.
- Slice-and Bake Cookies: Frozen cookie logs are easier to slice after they’ve defrosted for a few minutes. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake following recipe directions. Give the cookies a couple of extra minutes in the oven if necessary.
- Cut-Out Cookies: Defrost the dough in the fridge before rolling out, cutting shapes, and baking as usual.
As you can see, it is hard to define what a friend is in words because friendship involves more than words. It touches the soul, engaging our mind, will and emotions. I'd love to hear you thought on friendship, so join the conversation by leaving a comment.
So for today, I'll leave you with this from urban dictionary.
"A friend is someone you love and who loves you, someone you respect and who respects you, someone whom you trust and who trusts you. A friend is honest and makes you want to be honest, too. A friend is loyal.
A friend is someone who is happy to spend time with you doing absolutely nothing at all; someone who doesn't mind driving you on stupid errands, who will get up at midnight just because you want to go on an adventure, and who doesn’t have to talk to communicate with you.
A friend is someone who not only doesn't care if you're ugly or boring, but doesn't even think about it; someone who forgives you no matter what you do, and someone who tries to help you even when they don't know how. A friend is someone who tells you if you're being stupid, but who doesn't make you feel stupid.
A friend is someone who would sacrifice their life and happiness for you. A friend is someone who will come with you when you have to do boring things like watch bad recitals, go to stuffy parties, or wait in boring lobbies. You don't even think about who's talking or who's listening in a conversation with a friend.
A friend is someone for whom you're willing to change your opinions. A friend is someone you look forward to seeing and who looks forward to seeing you: someone you like so much, it doesn't matter if you share interests or traits. A friend is someone you like so much, you start to like the things they like.
A friend is a partner, not a leader or a follower."