Between Covid lockdowns and the winter weather we've been having, many of us have been indoors longer than normal. With that hibernation the winter blues can set in.
Winter blues have been having a definite effect at our house. I just want to curl up beside the fireplace with a good book and cup of coffee and stay there until spring.
And so that's what I do.
Then guilt sets in. I should be doing something not just wasting all this time. And that make the blues bluer.
Scientists say that unless you have SAD (seasonal affect disorder) the weather has little to no impact on moods and behavior. While that may be true, many of us combat winter blues at some point during the season.
It's time to break out of hibernation and overcome those winter blues. Here are a few way you can do this.
- Do nothing and release the guilt. Accept how you are feeling and go ahead and curl up with that book and coffee. Winter will soon be over, spring and it's sunshine are right around the corner. The season will change and tomorrow will be brighter.
- Eat good stuff that is good for you. When I have the blues, I want to nibble on quick and easy comfort foods. These foods make a person feel sluggish and the sudden spikes in blood sugar can play havoc with our already out of whack moods. So instead of those chips, pizza and cookies, throw something nutritious in to the crock pot.
- Do something fun. Any exercise is good and increases neurotransmitters that help energize the brain. Do something you love. Bundle up and take a walk if you can. Buy garden seeds and some new gardening gloves. Start spring cleaning early. Do anything that will get your juice's flowing for the day.
- Start planning. This is a great time to plan your spring bucket list. Include adventures and projects you want to do. Add in travel, people you want to visit, and foods you want to eat. Plan your garden and get your tools ready. Grab your free printable at the end of this post.
- Dance, sing and praise the Lord. The absolute best way to overcome the winter blues is to put on some praise music. Spend 15 minutes in the morning dancing, singing and praising the Lord. Create a playlist of your favorite songs that get your feet moving and makes you want to shout to the Lord. Take a time out whenever you start to feel blue and play a couple of those songs. I guarantee it this will chase those blues away.
Here are a couple of my favorites to get you started.
As winter gives way to spring, let the Lord wrap you in His presence, and you will hear Him say:
What ways do you have to combat the winter blues? Do you have a favorite "get you moving song" that helps defeat the winter doldrums? Leave a comment and share your tips.
Celebrate Spring with a new mug!